Friday 23 March 2007

Chewy Oatmeal Raisins Cookies

Almost two months back, my friend gave me a pack of rolled oats. I have not used it as I have yet to come across any suitable recipes. Lately, I have set some basic requirements when it comes to baking recipes...the amount of sugar and fat to be used should not be too overwhelming so that I could still indulge on the bakes without expanding my waistline further ;)

I finally found this cookie recipe that uses roll oats, with only 1 egg and vegetable oil instead of butter. It's taken from a cookbook, Homemade Cookies by Jacqueline Bellefontaine. The method for making these oatmeal raisins cookies is almost similar to the muffin method, where the wet ingredients(milk, egg & oil) are added to the dry ingredients (flour, rolled oats, sugar, raisins) to form a soft dough. The cookies were lightly browned by around 10mins in the oven, and I gave it a couple more mins to reach golden brown.


This is the very first time I have tasted any cookies that are made of roll oats. I was slightly taken aback by the texture of the cookies. They differ from the familiar crunchy texture I always associate with cookies. Instead, they are rather chewy, probably due to the rolled oats...and the middle is soft and moist, a result of the use of liquid oil, I think. I don't know whether this is the right texture and I seriously think that they are like half-baked cookies!

I personally have yet to acquire the taste of such kind of cookies, but surprisingly, my better half finds it very delicious! Well, like what he commented, "These certainly tasted not like cookies and not like muffins either", but he likes it that way...


Ingredients:
(makes about 36 cookies)

150g plain flour
150g rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
150g light brown sugar
50g raisins
1 egg
125ml vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil)
4 tablespoon milk

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Lightly grease a baking sheet (I lined the baking sheet with parchment paper for ease in cleaning).
  2. Mix together flour, oats, baking soda, sugar and raisins in a bowl. (I 'plump up' the raisins a little by soaking them in water for a couple of mins.)
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, oil and milk.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together to form a soft dough.
  5. Place spoonfuls of dough well apart onto the baking sheet, and flatten slightly with the tines of a fork.
  6. Bake for about 10 mins. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.

21 comments:

Anne said...

I've always liked rolled oats despite it's texture and I must admit I prefer oat cookies better than the rest especially when it's chewy. Can I have some please?..please :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Anne, when I finally master my baking skills, I shall send you a jar of oats cookies by speedpost :)

jthorge said...

Hi,
I'm new here. Your oats cookies look so yummy! I'll try your recipe soon. Thanks! :D

jthorge said...

Thanks for the recipe. My children like it very much. I have posted it in my blog http://jthorge.blogspot.com/2008/05/chewy-rolled-oats-raisins-cookies.html

arlyn said...

Hi,Thank you for sharing this recipe. I just finish baking it,and its yummy,chewy.Will be trying more of your recipes.I will post this recipe soon. c")

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Jthorge, glad to hear that you like the cookies :)

Hi Herb n Spices, thanks for dropping by, I look forward to reading about your cookies:D

Anonymous said...

Hi,

May i know what type of milk are u using?

thanks

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Anonymous, I use Marigold's HL (low-fat) fresh milk.

Anonymous said...

Hi thanks for the recipe. I tried this afternoon (i used instant oatmeal), it taste deliciours :)

DiLs said...

hi for the brown sugar, can i use granulated brown sugar or caster type of sugar?

i am a novice in baking cakes still.. so was wondering what difference in terms of texture and also healthy rates between sponge and butter cake.

Would love to try this cake. greentea/redbean combination totally heaven!

Elaine said...

hi happyhomemaker,

can i use extra fine sugar instead of brown sugar?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Elaine, you can use extra fine sugar, the only thing is, it will lack the flavour which you get from brown sugar.

Yummy Bakes said...

Hi, this is my first visit to your blog. The cookies look yummy. can i check whether its ok to use candola oil? thanks

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Yummy Koh, thanks for visiting my blog :) Yes, you can use canola oil.

Yummy Bakes said...

Thanks for responding. Do visit my blog when you have a moment. Of course my blog is not so nice like your - just started sometime in Jun/july - yummykoh.blogspot.com

SL said...

Hi, I just baked this for the first time..Is it this biscuits crunchy outside and soft inside when you eat it? because of the raisins it olso chewy? Do I do it right? Anywya it taste good..Thanks for the simple receipe

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi SL, yes, these cookies are crunchy on the outside, but soft and chewy inside. The chewiness is due to the rolled oats not the raisins.

Caca said...

I am going to try this with my girl tonight, thanks.

Jenna said...

Hi! What if I don't want too many cookies? Do I lessen the ingredients by half? What abt th baking soda? I would like t try out first bfr I make it. Haha I'm afraid if I failed, it would be a waste t throw everything away. Looking fwd t your reply soon! Thanks alot! :D

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Jenna, you can divide the ingredients into half. But I would recommend you try one of my more recent oatmeal cookies recipe which is quite well received:
http://happyhomebaking.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-post.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. My first attempt was successful. I thought the 2nd tray was a bit burnt but it turned out well with color a bit brownish, crunchier and tastier in terms of aroma. I think this is because I used 130g brown sugar and 20g demerera sugar. This will definitely be a keeper and proven by family, friends and colleagues.